Last updated on 13 July 2021
While the state passed the Industrial Hemp Act prior to the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, the Illinois Department of Agriculture adopted a set of temporary rules under the Industrial Hemp Act in early 2019. Under these rules, the state’s definition of industrial hemp remained consistent with the federal government’s limit of 0.3% THC by weight.
Doctors don’t prescribe CBD oil, because the oil has never received the FDA’s recognition as a drug. If you want to consume CBD oil under the age of 18 years of age, you require a medical marijuana card. But only if you have a condition that qualifies as per the law.
Is Cannabis legal in Illinois?
Just like CBD, Cannabis is medically and recreationally legal. Registered patients and caregivers may legally purchase medical cannabis at a dispensary.
|How old do I need to be to consume?||Possession limit of flower||Possession limit for concentrates|
|21+ Recreational 18+ Medical||30g Recreational 2,5oz Medical||5g Recreational 2,5oz Medical|
Patients can ask their doctor for a recommendation to possess more cannabis if needed.
- Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Anorexia nervosa
- Arnold-Chiari malformation
- Cachexia/wasting syndrome
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Chronic pain
- Crohn’s disease
- CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome Type II)
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Fibrous Dysplasia
- Hepatitis C
- Interstitial cystitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Nail-patella syndrome
- Neuro-Bechet’s autoimmune disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Residual limb pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Seizures (including those characteristic of Epilepsy)
- Severe fibromyalgia
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- Spinal cord disease (including but not limited to arachnoiditis)
- Spinal cord injury is damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Spinocerebellar ataxia
- Superior canal dehiscence syndrome
- Tarlov cysts
- Tourette syndrome
- Traumatic brain injury
- Ulcerative colitis
Are there any penalties for Cannabis in Illinois?
Possession of more than 30g of cannabis, can lead to one year of imprisonment and a $2,500 fine.
Industrial hemp CBD is legal in Illinois. Every individual over the age of 18 is allowed to consume CBD without a recommendation of a doctor. Cannabis is also legal in the state, however, there are possession limits, but Illinois aligns with a liberal view towards cannabis similarly to Colorado and California.