The legality of CBD in Iowa is very complex. Generally speaking, CBD oil is not legal in Iowa, unless you are qualified for Iowa’s medical marijuana program.
In 2014, the Iowa legislature passed SF 2360, to allow individuals diagnosed with intractable epilepsy to use CBD products with 0.3% or less THC by weight. However, Iowa patients had no means of purchasing their medicine within the state. The state says it can be treated with CBD oil prescribed by a doctor. Although in 2018 the Congress passed the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized the production of hemp containing less than 0.3% THC, CBD still remains illegal unless it is grown, sold, and possessed in participation with the Iowa Medical Cannabidiol program.
Is Cannabis legal in Iowa?
Recreational use is illegal in Iowa. Medical use is legal but very restricted.
|How old do I need to be to consume||Possession Limit for Flower||Possession Limit for Concentrates|
|N/A Recreational |
Not specified Medical
|N/A Recreational N/A Medical||N/A Recreational Restricted Medical|
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s disease;
- Cancer with severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, or cachexia (wasting disease)
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms
- Untreatable pain
- Crohn’s disease
- Any terminal illness, with a probable life expectancy of under one year if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia, or severe wasting disease
- Nausea or severe vomiting
- severe or chronic pain
- nausea or severe vomiting; cachexia, wasting disease;
- Parkinson’s disease; and
- Untreatable pain.
Are there any penalties for using Cannabis in Iowa?
The possession of any amount of recreational marijuana in Iowa is a misdemeanor. First-time offenders can be jailed for 6 months and forced to pay a maximum fine of $1,000. Second and third possession offenses are also charged as misdemeanors, with incarceration of 1 year and 2 years and a maximum fine of $1,875 and $6,250. Medical use of marijuana flower is currently illegal in Iowa, punishable by the same penalties as recreational marijuana. However, concentrates are legal for medical use but only very restricted.
CBD is illegal, unless it is grown, sold and possessed with the Iowa Medical Cannabidiol program. Medical use is legal but only marijuana concentrates and for medical patients.